Monday 3 March 2014

Weekend Getaway

I had no idea how much we needed that.  When we pulled up to the chalet Friday afternoon, everything lifted.  I didn't know how tired I was of kids talking.  I didn't know how bored I was of the same routines.  I didn't know how sleep-deprived I was.  I didn't know how much I missed talking to my husband without interruptions or without working on something at the same time or without multi-tasking in my head during the conversations.

A whole weekend of cuddling, hot-tubbing, a shower with two heads, some board games, room service, a snowy lake, many episodes of Lost, dancing, massages, a couple movies, and uninterrupted sleep with my best friend was in order and so refreshing.

The best feeling is the one where you finally get time with your spouse again, and it turns out you really like each other!  :)  Bernie and I are very good at working together to keep the house tidy, at having the majority of the laundry put away, at keeping the fridge stocked, at staying on top of errands and appointments, at doing the odd project, at raising the kids.  But just being together?  Hanging out, laying low, chatting or not...  It turns out that takes planning.  But it was worth it.  Our relationship will be the evidence that that was a meaningful and needed weekend.  And how powerful is that?

By all accounts the boys did well.  I was not sure how Lachlan would do with that many bottles in a row, but he was a trooper and even slept decently.  We are blessed to have parents who will do these sorts of things for us.  And the kids love it too.

Anyway, thank you Jesus, for reminding me how much I love Bernie and how great we are together.

No comments:

Post a Comment