Thursday 27 March 2014

Eating Habits

For too long, I've been eating whatever.  Actually, pretty much for as long as I can remember.  I don't eat horrifically, but I also don't really restrain myself.  If I feel like a chocolate chip cookie after breakfast, no big deal.  If I want nachos and salsa for lunch, so be it.  If the kids all go down for naps, that sounds like cause for a chocolate bar.   If there needs to be some encouragement for kids eating supper, pull out a little dessert.  If we're watching TV after the kids are in bed, maybe it's time for some popcorn.

The problem is while this approach used to leave my weight unaffected, that is no longer the case.  Plus, as life's been getting so busy and so crazy, I was doing more and more of the little sneaking snack excuses each day.

Add 3 pregnancy weights to that and I've been really struggling with body image.  Being careful about how I sit.  Covering my belly with my arms.  Noticing how each piece of clothing accentuates my mid-section.  Comparing myself to other moms around me.

I don't want to live the rest of my life like this.  I have always exercised, but I've put off eating well and trying to lose the tummy fat until I knew I was done being pregnant.  Why put in all that work if it's just going to get sabotaged?  Well, I don't have that excuse anymore.

So a week and a half ago, I came to the decision point.  Time to tackle the food issue.  I'm being careful and working very hard on self-restraint right now.  One banana and a cup of milk for breakfast.  One cooked egg, carrots, half an apple, and half an orange for lunch.  And a 'normal' but single-serving supper.  And snacking is limited to a small chocolate pick-me-up every mid-afternoon and the odd dessert after supper (2-3 times per week).  It's certainly not perfection, but it's miles from where I was.

The thing is, if I am consuming so many less calories every day and still working out, I expected to see results faster.  I know it's only been 10 or 11 days, but the eating change feels so drastic to me that I was hoping to see a change.  I guess I might need to start being deliberate about ab workouts too, not just cardio.

Lord, give me the self-control to take it day by day and the perseverance to see this through to the long haul.   If I could just see some results, I could have a better attitude about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment