Friday 14 March 2014

Sex

Pros of telling a four-year-old about sex:
- It would be initiated by me/us and I/we would be prepared for the conversation.
- He has no concept of shame and wouldn't be embarrassed about anything.
- It would give them a base knowledge early so that the moment of learning it wouldn't be a big deal.
- It would minimize the trauma of him potentially walking in on us because we'd both react differently.
- It would open healthy conversation about the topic so that he knows I/we are who he can come to to ask the questions.
- He would definitely be hearing it from me before he heard it from peers, internet, TV, or magazines.

Cons of telling a four-year-old about sex:
- He might ask follow-up questions that he's not ready for.
- He might bring up the topic in a setting where it's not appropriate.
- He might say something and get giggles from adults.
- He might say something to his peers who don't know yet.
- It's unusual.

So do we tell him or don't we?

I notice that my pro list are "would" statements and my con list are "might" statements.  That seems to give far more weight to the pro list.  Plus that's where my gut is at.  Hm.  This is going to take some thinking.  I wonder what the average age is at which parents tell their kids about sex.  And why that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment