Tuesday 18 February 2014

Sexuality

I'd like to be able to be open with my kids and I'd like my kids to be able to be open with me.  So far that has looked like using accurate terms for body parts and letting them see/ask whatever they want in terms of my body and theirs.  A lot of people around me have been saying that they don't want their kid to remember seeing them naked.  I'm not sure I'm on board with that.  I don't want to make things secret and mysterious.  If/when my kids choose to have privacy of their own, I will respect that.  If/when they are embarrassed by seeing me, I will respect that as well.  But I want to keep the conversation open.

I know I'm being totally idealistic, but  I want to be the safe one that they can talk to about everything.  I want them to know God's ideal for sex, but more importantly, I want them to know why I believe that this is important.  I want them to choose to wait, but more importantly I want them to know why to wait and have strategies to protect themselves from temptation.   I want them to have such assurance of my love that they will want to discuss things with me, even if they disagree with me.  I want them to have the confidence in their decision-making, that they will share their choices with me, even if they know these choices are not ones I'd make.  Or at least, I want to want these things.

It would be so hard if any of my children chose to have sex outside of marriage.  But I want to have a relationship with them that is much deeper than behaviour choices.  I'm not sure what that will look like in terms of sex and teenage conversations, but I will be deliberate right now in laying the groundwork by taking every opportunity to make sure they know that I love them regardless of what they do.  And I will plant seeds for the future by responding to questions, comments, or assumptions with a listening ear and gentle guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment