Thursday 13 February 2014

Karen

Karen and I have been close friends (I'd say best from my end, but I don't know about hers) for years and years.  There were the days of carpooling to CMU, of co-leading College & Career, of being house-sitting roommates, of starting a small group together, of planning a wedding, of getting "real" jobs, of becoming adults.  She's seen me as a shy teenager, a finding-my-way university student, a giddy first-date-er, a teacher, a nervous girlfriend, an excited fiancee, an elated bride, a wife, a prego, a mother and so much in between.

I love her.  I love Karen's passion for travel and having authentic cultural experiences.  I love her willingness to grapple with the tough questions of faith against faith.  I love the way she reaches out to immigrants and international students and invites them into the Canadian sphere of her life.  I love her courage in branching out to jobs and roles that take her out of her comfort zone.

There have been things that have been worrying me about Karen for the past 4 or 5 months.  She's become less joyful, less energetic, and less engaged.  Mentioning this to Erin a couple months ago and Laura and Angie last night confirms that it's not just me.  She's withdrawn from things that she used to care about and not been particularly present even when she is present.

It was almost comical last night, how each of us knew only one or two little things about Karen's life lately and when we shared them everyone else was shocked.  I had no idea she is perpetua-texting her "A-Team".  Laura had no idea about Brendan.  Angie had no idea we were concerned.

Between us all I think there's a clear consensus that something is off with Karen.  I don't think it's a crisis of faith, but maybe a bit of a crisis of identity?  purpose?  focus?  I don't know.  And she's so private she'd hate it if she knew we had talked about this without her.  But I felt like I needed to know if it was just me.

Lord, help me to approach her cautiously and lovingly.  Give me grace in showing her that I love her and am concerned for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment