Wednesday 17 December 2014

Left with Love and Grace

You kick your brother, forcefully and unprovoked.
I love you.
You taunt your brother and chase him around laughing at him.
I love you.
You whine and complain about your breakfast.
I love you.
You throw tantrum about getting dressed.
I love you.

Having abandoned time-outs, consequences, yelling, and threats for the day, I'm left with love and grace.  Which sounds so much less difficult and messy than it really is.

While you whine and complain, while you throw yourself on the floor, in between kicks and yells I whisper.  I love you.  I love you.  Can I lay with you here on the floor?  I love you.  Can I hug you?  Can I rub your back?  I love you.

Know that there is nothing you can do to get outside of my love for you.  Believe that there is no transgression that renders you unworthy.  See that my love for you extends beyond your ability to comprehend.  Feel that my love for you flows over every bit of you - even the bits I am working hard to shape.

I love you, my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment