Monday 15 December 2014

Other

So many stories and experiences reinforce the 'otherness' of You.  You create all things from nothing and I see You outside of time and space.  You send floods and rainbows and messages and I see Your power and control.  You are in the clouds and the fire, crossing the all but God-forsaken desert.  At your command, the waters become stormy or calm or parted down the middle.  You are clothed in majesty, surrounded by an emerald sea, the only thought on the minds of all the creatures who bow before You.

Everything about You is so resplendent and awe-inspiring.  You are more powerful than my mind can fathom, greater than I will ever know.  Despite its 'otherness,' I do not doubt Your glorious greatness for a moment.

It's that glory, Your glory full of grace and truth, wrapped up in swaddling clothes, that mystifies me.  You became weak, temptable, powerless, needy, dirty, broken, human, messy, bruised, hungry, limited, mistreated, common, vulnerable flesh.  You made Your dwelling here among us.  With me.  In the world I know.  As a person I can know.

Fully God.  Fully with me.  Emmanuel.

That Your Greater would choose to become mine?  That is the truth I must claim hourly.  Your greater grace extends to every dark corner I offer up.  Your greater love for me both humbles and excites me.  You take great delight in me.  You are greater than all other gods.  And you will do greater things than these.  How can my response be anything but this: Thank You, Jesus.  You must become greater, I must become less.

No comments:

Post a Comment