Thursday 30 January 2014

Zooming Out on Success

Success today means general happiness.  Boys getting along decently.  Me not hollering and not needing to holler.  A workout.  Devotions.  Supper started before 4:30.  Some downtime on the computer.  A good talk with Bernie.  Substantially more positive interactions with the kids than negative ones.

Success this week means some memorable highlights.  A great phone conversation with Laura or Alison.  A playdate with Tania or Kris.  A fun family time.  Laundry.  An effective tutoring session.  A block of time for me - maybe a drum circle, a massage, or worship team.  Clean floors, bathrooms, and kitchen.  Lots of touches and some laughs.  

Success this month means progress.  Improved kid-behavior.  Larger kid-vocabularies.  More regular workouts.  More regular devotions.  A new recipe.  Gained independence.  A date.  An outing like swimming, the children's museum, the library, or Kid City.  Reaching out.  Growth in self-awareness and humility.

Success this year means exposure.  Trying new foods and new activities.  Letting the kids experience canoeing, camping, tobogganing, and skating.  Gaining confidence in my body and my gifts.  Owning my nerdy hobbies.  Making sure I am more than "just" a mom.  Reclaiming things I love.  Knowing success does not depend on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment