Tuesday 21 January 2014

It's Not You; It's Me

I don't think I was upset that Bernie thought I was not in a good mood.  I think I was upset that he might be right.  Maybe I was too hard on the boys.  Maybe I got a little carried away.  Maybe I am too focused.  Too scheduled.  Too rigid.  Does it matter if they get to bed 10 minutes later?  If they dawdle when clearing their dishes?  Or play with taps instead of brushing their teeth?  Does it have to drive me crazy when they don't listen immediately.

I love that my kids can be efficient.  I love that we've got such helpful routines in place.  It's what keeps me sane.  They are used to hearing instructions and expectations ahead of time and they respond well to knowing what's coming and what their job is.

But maybe I should loosen up.

Why is it that the parts of me that I like and value and make me good at parenting are also the parts of me that are most frustrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment