Friday 24 January 2014

Niko's Sensitive Soul

"Mommy, I love you too much," he says as he tries to let go of me and head to preschool.  Every separation is so hard for him.  Sometimes I roll my eyes, but I also find it his sensitive soul precious to no end.

On the outside, you would never notice N's sensitivity.  He's rough-and-tumble, rowdy, reckless, and rambunctious.  He loves to wrestle with H, play chase with E, roughhouse with Daddy, learn any sport, play until he's sweaty, and tumble in the grass.  But hiding underneath that all-boy exterior, he's a softy.

When we leave him with a babysitter, N hugs both Bernie and I at least three times each.
While he is playing with E, he will often lean over to give "Emmy" a headlock-style hug and kiss.
If he's the first one to hear L wake up he will go in and lay down beside "Lachie-bear" and hold his hands.
He will randomly look at me across the table and say "I love you."
He seeks our approval and is so proud to show us his accomplishments.
He breaks down in tears of sadness far more often than those of anger.
He cannot handle an antagonist in a book or movie and gets very concerned when they are deliberately mean.
He built the Lego set we got him for his birthday, but wouldn't take the robbers that went with the motorcycle out of the package.

Thank you, Jesus, for entrusting me with this gentle spirit.  May I show him that this part of him is from you and that he need never be ashamed of it.
Let your gentleness be evident to all. - Philippians 4:5

No comments:

Post a Comment