Wednesday 27 August 2014

My Portion

On days when I am very conscious of eating and living health-ily, my portion is deliberate and I am focussed on what my body needs, not what my taste buds want.  I eat things that are good for me, giving me the energy and strength I need to be active and alert.

Some days I feel down and tired and my food intake reflects that.  I might need a pick-me-up part way through the day that I wouldn't even think of on other days.  An ice-cold Pepsi, some chips and salsa, or a chocolate chip cookie might be the only thing that hits the spot.  And while my physical body might not need it, per se, my emotional hunger is equally important at times.  

Other days for other reasons, the food I eat is part of a social situation.  Out with friends or at a special event, my portion may be vastly larger and more frivolous than average.  It reflects the atmosphere of fun and frivolity in which it is being consumed.  It is almost symbolic of the relaxing and enjoying that is going on around it.

My portion.  My portion is what I have allotted to eat.  What I have eaten.  What I have needed to eat.  What fills my physical need or emotional need.  

Need.  Whether it is big or small, my portion is reflective of the circumstances and needs around it.  

Psalm 119:57
You are my portion, Lord.

Some days you provide my strength and energy.  You are good for me and almost functional in a way.  Other days you fill an emotional need that is deep.  You pour into a crevice that needs healing.  Still other days the portion you provide is in excess - symbolic of your lavish and overflowing love for me.  

Regardless of how or why or when or how much I need you on any given day at any given moment, you are my portion.  You are all I need.  All I need.  My needs change hour by hour, but you are all I need.

Thank you, Jesus, for being my praiseworthy portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment