Wednesday 20 August 2014

As You have Loved Me

As I have loved you, so you must love others.

As You have loved me.  Just like You have loved me.  In the same way that You have loved me.

God who models love, no wonder there is such a desire in me to love well.  It only makes sense that You who love with every breath, would place that urge in my heart.  I am, after all, made in your image and you model love in ways my heart longs for.

Lavishly.  There is such extravagance about you.  All loving things done in excess; undeserved grace given in abundance.  Without thought of it being wasted, you rain down your blessings on me.  Nothing I have ever done or ever will do could bring out this extraordinary love.  It is just who you are.

Unconditionally.  We toss this word around without considering its weight.  When I think of what it means for you to love me unconditionally...I am stupefied.  To love me unconditionally means you must love every single hidden dark ugly corner of my soul.  You love me when I am right there next to you keeping in step with your movements in my life and world.  You love me when I am far from you, indifferent to your thoughts and will.  You love me entirely independent of what I do or where I am or whether I am choosing to be in relationship with you.  Which means that I hurt you - a lot.  And you love me in the middle of that.

Fiercely.  With all-consuming passion, you love me.  With tears of ecstasy and joy, you created me just so.  With tears of pain and agony, you died for me.  You are emotionally invested in me.

Thank You for loving me lavishly, unconditionally, and fiercely.  Thank You for modelling love that I can strive for.  Thank You for loving me as a Father, Husband, Friend, Saviour, Brother, Creator, Redeemer, and King.  I would never be anything without Your love.  Thank You for putting Your love inside me.  Thank You for teaching and enabling me to love by loving me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment