Wednesday 3 September 2014

Hosea 2:14

Regardless of what came before.  Or, better yet, because of what has come before.  Because I am far away, which is only ever of my own doing.  Despite my apathy, stubbornness, laziness, disobedience, self-centredness, or whatever else is in the way.  You promise to win me back again.

I cannot even wrap my head around the way You work, Jesus.  Your love for me seems to know no bounds.  I am so small and insignificant without you.  And in my biggest moment of weakness and sin, You reached out and offered me this indescribably valuable gift of salvation.  Eternal life with You in heaven one day.  Powerful life with You here on earth right now.  Only because you love me.  Only because you want to.  As if you haven't done enough, Your love only grows.  You pursue me. You pursue me when I go astray.  When I get lost or scared or absorbed in my own selfish life, there You are being the One to initiate, to try, to call, seek.  You promise to win me back again.

Like the most perfect of lovers, You follow and watch with only love in Your eyes.  You wait for the moment I just might be receptive and then You put Yourself out there again.  You make Yourself vulnerable to me.  For me.  You remind me of what we had.  Of when we were happy.  Of what my life was like with You.  You reach out, tentatively, to touch my hand.  Testing the waters.  When I wince, You whisper with even more love and gentleness, turning my heart back into mush and I find myself falling for You all over again.  You stroke my arm and I know You are the One that I am made for.  You step toward me and I lean into your embrace.  You speak tenderly to me and win me back once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment