Friday 22 August 2014

Rapt with Anticipation

Dipping my paddle in for the first stroke and pushing off shore, I am rapt with anticipation.  The details of what lies ahead are unknown; our route is charted yet the many variables mean things could veer substantially off of our loosely laid plans.  I don't have a clue what the weather or terrain will bring, both of which will greatly affect our excursion.  Adventures are bound to be had, some of which will be funny and some of which will require gritting my teeth and hoping that they will one day make entertaining stories.  There is bound to be much joy and wonder.  There is also bound to be pain and difficulty.  It all comes with the canoe trip territory.

And I am rapt with anticipation.

How is it that I can voluntarily venture into completely unknown paths with the confidence that rain or shine, windy or calm, easy or difficult I want to be here and experience it all?  Because I know that the experience in all its forms and facets is powerful and somehow leaves me wanting more.

Are there other arenas of my life I could approach the same way?  

Today, God, I am choosing to adore that you are the God who leads me on paths I have not known.  You are the God of adventure.  You are the God who goes before me into unknown and uncharted territory.  Paths I have never seen to lookouts I did not know existed.  It is very possible that there is nothing safe about following you there, yet perhaps I can approach these feats of mystery knowing that whether they are easy or difficult, whether I feel equipped or not, whether they are familiar or not, whether they are full of joy or pain, I can be rapt with anticipation.  Anticipation that you are leading and you can do so much good.  God, You are awesome and if You are the one guiding me along unfamiliar paths, then You can teach me abundantly along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment