Thursday 9 October 2014

Why I want to Foster

After finally saying out loud that I think I'd like to foster, I feel very self-conscious about it.  I feel like I need to have good, solid reasons and know for that this is what I want to do and why I want to do it.  I feel like it needs to be more than "a good thing to do".
(Sidenote: what I really want if for the I's to be we's, and I won't actually pursue this if they never become we's.)

I want to foster because the stories of kids whose families can't provide the safe homes they need make me angry and trembly and make my gut knot with compassion in a way that few other injustices do.

I want to foster because I have imagined giving a home to other people's children for as long as I can remember.  For 'irrational' reasons and long before I even realized that that wasn't normal.

I want to foster because I have a burden to share the Very Good Thing we have going on here.  Not the easy thing or the relaxing thing, but the good thing.  I want to pass on the blessing of a solid marriage relationship and of a supportive network of church, friends, and family.

I want to foster because there is a major issue in our city of injustice between races, and it seems that only love and personal connection can begin to heal that rift.

I want to foster because I have always pictured a full house of kids and thrived on managing the chaos.  God has given me a gift for this and I want to be faithful in using it to serve him and others.

I want to foster because God is pestering me to do so.  Pestering and preparing.  I have so many life experiences that have equipped me, on various small levels, for this.  I have begun to recognize and identify aspects of my character that are gifts not everyone has.

I want to foster because God is pulling my heart that direction and if I don't listen, I will miss out on part of his plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment