Wednesday 14 May 2014

First Birthday

Lachlan, my son,

You look so big as you earnestly "tell" me about what you are playing in the tub.  And so small as you snuggle into me when you are overwhelmed.  So big as you eat a whole piece of watermelon, holding the rind like this is no big deal.  And so small as your new toddler carseat seems to swallow you up.  So big playing cars together with your brothers on the floor, them already starting to argue with you as though you are one of the guys.  And so small clutching your bottle as you lie in my arms at night.

I watch you let go of the couch and balance, right on the brink of walking on your own yet still hesitant to take your first steps.  And I feel like I am watching you on the verge of so much more.  On the cusp of another year that will bring growth and development in abundance.  A year that will snowball into another and another and suddenly you will walk and talk and climb and discover and run and bike and read and build and learn.  Suddenly and also not so suddenly at all.  

I pray that as we sometimes lead you and sometimes follow you, we would guide you right to the cusp of the fullness of our awesome God and let you jump headlong into His love and grace and peace and joy and discover for yourself the amazing person He created you to be.

Love, your Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment