Saturday 21 February 2015

Hope (Psalm 146:5)

Day after day and tough spot after tough spot, I cling to hopes that I know will make me happy.  I hope they all sleep in.  I hope they get along.  I hope I can get the house cleaned up.  I hope the weather warms up.  I hope he can control himself.  I hope this is a phase.  I hope nobody spills.  I hope they don't embarrass me.  My next level of happiness, peace, relaxation, and comfort hinges on my hope of the next thing.

Except if doesn't.  When my hopes go unrealized, my bitterness grows.  And when they are fulfilled, I still am not.

Because these hopes that consume are liars.  They promise things they cannot possibly come through on.  They don't deserve the name hope.  Wishes, maybe.  Fleeting, insignificant, pennies tossed into scummy ponds.

Only One deserves my hope.  He fulfills every promise and my thirsty soul.  Show me why I hope in You today, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment