Thursday 10 April 2014

Wait For It

Wait.

Wait until you're married.  True Love Waits.  No sex before marriage.  Make a promise.  Sign the pledge.  Wear the ring.  Set your boundaries.  Kiss dating good-bye.  Save yourself.

Parents, teachers, pastors, youth leaders, everyone spent a good deal of time and energy convincing my whole generation of the church about the importance of waiting to have sex until we were married.

But then what?

Why did no one spend any time ever telling me what I was waiting for?  Once I'm married, then what?

What do I need to know about sex?  Where does it go after the passionate-can't-stop-ourselves movie portrayal?  What if it's not awesome every time?  What if I don't feel like it?  What if I don't feel beautiful, attractive, sexy?  What does it look like long-term?  What if I don't love it all the time?  What is the goal?  What if it doesn't connect us the way other things do?  Is good enough good enough?  What if I turned him down one too many times and now he doesn't try?  What if I'm pregnant and uncomfortable?  How do we get over being raised so conservatively?  How do we talk about it to each other?  Can we talk about it with friends?  How do we change the message our kids receive?

I waited, but now what?

This course I'm starting is going to be amazing.  I can feel it already.  We haven't hardly begun and I can sense that powerful things are going to happen in me.

I want to love the body God gave me.  I want to love sex the way God intended it.  I want to love my husband in the middle of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment