Friday 4 April 2014

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

I'm trying so hard to raise my kids well.  I want them to be gentle, kind, and caring.  I want them to feel empathy and respect for each other.  I want them to be the kind of kids other people want to be around.  I feel like we're working so hard towards those things through example, reflection, and discipline.  And yet also trying to balance that with overflowing love and affirmation so we don't spend the whole day scolding and assessing behaviour.  So it's particularly deflating to come home to a babysitters negative report.  It's disheartening to see evidence of wild behaviour, hear tales of fighting, and even confessions of disobedience.  It wounds me so deeply to know my children were not obedient and respectful of another adult or teenager in charge.  My tears are evidence that I care about this and take it seriously - as a reflection on me, if not my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment