Saturday 26 April 2014

Colin and Shelley

The look isn't meant for me to see, but I catch it as it darts across the room between you.  A half-smile sneaks onto my face, but I quickly disguise it so you don't know I'm onto you.

You are both enjoying the evening immensely as you gracefully navigate hosting in your home, teaching and guiding our drumming, and reveling in the rhythm yourselves.  The few feet of space and the many decibels of drumbeats don't bear the slightest hindrance to your connection.  Your eyes are closed as you beat in time with the group, but you both glance up at the same moment and I see it again.  It doesn't matter who else or what else - you are one.

Later  in the evening you are sitting side-by-side and your bodies are as in sync as your souls.  Without any effort you are drumming the same pattern, hand for hand, your mannerisms mirrored in each other.  You notice it too and catch each other's gaze with a grin.

Your attunement to each other is born of years together.  Of wooing and pursuing, of kids and kisses, of homes and hand-holding, of ups and downs, of supporting and encouraging, of being there.  Not by accident, but deliberately being present to each other.  I don't need to hear your story, I can see it and I smile.  You are one of those couples who makes marriage look so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment